Location: London
Date: 2013-2020
Client: 4C Hotel Group
Status: Construction
Size: 15,500m² 342 hotel rooms
Credits: ARCHITECTURE: ACME (Luka Anic, Michel Bosauder, Monica Capitanio, Anna Czigler, Friedrich Ludewig, Eleni Meladaki, Matteo Modenese, Paolo Moretto, Elisha Nathoo, Jolanda Putri, David Rieser, Gemma Serra, , Thomas Soo, Azizah Sulor, Maria Perez Vera, Hexuam Yu)
INTERIOR DESIGN: ACME (Monica Capitanio, Alia Centofanti, Anna Czigler, Lauren Evans, Katrina Hollis, Friedrich Ludewig, Flora Martinet, Melanie Richardson)
ART CONSULTANTS: Dais Contemporary
SUBCONSULTANTS:AKT2, alinea, BB7, Blend, Blue Moon, Cole Jarman, David Bonnett, future54,Murphy Facade Studio, RED
 

A new Canopy by Hilton hotel will be inserted in the refurbished and extended old Aon Insurance offices. 
Canopy is new brand by Hilton, aiming to create more neighbourhood-specific, design and destination-led aspirational hotels. The Minories neighbourhood has a very rich history spanning 2000 years, from the first Roman settlement to successive waves of immigrants, from French Huguenots around 1690 to eastern European Jews in 1850, Bangladeshi migrants around 1960 and the artist community since 1900. A stay at the hotel should try to make as many facets of this neighbourhood accessible to visitors.
The interior design of the hotel rooms seeks to stay true to the late modernist origins of the existing concrete frame, exposing the waffle slab ceiling where possible in the rooms. Room shelving is designed in the spirit of Jean Prouvé as lightweight steel and timber structures, temporarily inserted between floors and ceilings. Carpets and wall fabrics are inspired by the woven legacy of the Huguenots, using an abstracted floral pattern of Anna Maria Garthwaite (1728-1763). The concrete façade of the building has been overclad in anodized aluminium, and that formal language has been re-interpreted as timber canopies for the hotel beds. Around the corner of the hotel is Freedom Press, the Anarchist Publisher founded in 1886, and Whitechapel Art Gallery, opened in 1901 as one of the first publicly funded galleries, which has supported local and challenging art over the last 100 years. A letterpress tray is curated for each room containing new works by local artists and objects found in Petticoat Lane Market.